Monday, February 1, 2010


Got out in the studio and got my hands dirty today. Threw a few textured bowls trying to get back into the swing of throwing. Suppose to do a demo next week, only my second one, and need to get in some practice. Used a new "tool" to texture the bowl in front, I am eager to see how it will look once it's glazed. Been enrolled in continueing ed pottery class but that may be coming to a close. Some of the more experienced potters kept signing up because it was like an open studio with access to reduction firings. Now they are requiring us to state a limiting "focus" on one area Instructor has to verify if our work to be fired is consistent with our "focus". So looks like they are trying to kill the CE class because they know no one will stay with that kind of nonsense. If we wanted that we would have signed up for credit classes.

3 comments:

Trish said...

Bert..thanks for your comments on my blog. yes, it is waterfall brown and a tan from the Reader's Digest Hobbies book that I have had for years. In that book there is a great section on Pottery. I have used the #10, #6 and #14 glazes for years. The tan colour is #10 (I think:)
I like the bowls on your blog today, and the work on your website. Your waterfall brown is great!. Is the mug on page four a combination of waterfall and something else--great runs.
Good eve..Trish from Alberta

Bert said...

Thanks Trish. The glaze on the page 4 mug is just waterfall brown. I applied some slip and texture to give it some places to break and run. I like the results! There is another mug where I overlapped with Bone and got some blue showing. It is a great glaze.

Kim Hines said...

just noticed these pots, they're fantastic! are you going to share what kind of tool it is? at first i thought the steve tool but on closer inspection i think not. i love textured pieces and those on your site trish was commenting about are gorgeous! i can wait to get my kiln controller so i can get all these great results from these glazes. take care, kim