Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Texturing Tool Secrets


The secrets to my recent texturing success are pictured here. lol I think the first one is a hair curler and what I used to texture the bowl in front from the last post. I tried to make mugs with this but wheelhead interference wouldn't let me get all the way to the bottom of the mug. A large blank space is left down there and I couldn't get the combination of texture and non-texture to look right together. Will have to think about that one and see if there is a solution that looks good. The two bowls in the back were textured using the pastry wheel in the middle. The scrap piece of wood was used to texture the bowls three or four posts ago. If anybody tries these let me know how it works for you.

2 comments:

Kim Hines said...

aaahh... i was trying to figure out the pot that you used the curler on, good idea! i've used wood when i made my sculptures, works great for hair texture and of course wood. i've got a few pieces laying around, maybe i'll try it on my pots. don't you love raiding your kitchen for tools. can't say how many times i've fussed at my husband for putting something in the wrong place only to find out i took it to my clay room to experiment lol. lately i've been borrowing my kids' toys when they're not looking ;)

Bert said...

Kids toys are great sources for potential clay tools! When we're in a thrift store I always check out the kids section and the kitchen section. Usually I can find kids toys with wheels that have texture for a dollar or two and kitchen items for a quarter.