Thursday, January 29, 2009

Cold as ice

It's been cold here in Texas over the last few days. Too cold to work in the north facing unheated garage, even though I tried through 5 layers of clothing. So no pottery work has been done during this time. The entire Dallas area was virtually shut down yesterday because of the ice. Hopefully with warmer weather starting today, I'll be able to start getting some pottery work done.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Old Kitchen Cabinets

My dad's birthday was Saturday and the family got together yesterday to celebrate. Mom cooked chicken fried steak and I got to bring home the leftovers. Chicken fried steak sandwiches all week. Life's good!

I installed the old kitchen cabinets along the front wall of the garage studio. Should give me some nice storage and work area.. As you can see I've spent the morning trying to organize and figure out how to arrange the rest of the garage studio. Maybe one day I'll get back to throwing pots.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Texas Mug

Here is a mug where I was experimenting with wax resist between glaze layers. I'm not sure if I like the emblem being that bold against the background or not. A breaking glaze might highlight the emblem enough to be notice but not so stark as this.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Cone 10 experiment part 2

Here is another cone 10 glaze called green blue black over a cone 6 clear. Again I wanted to cause some movement of the top glaze. Glazes were probably on too thick. I would like the movement shown on the sides without the pooling at the bottom of the bowl.

Cone 10 experiment

Here is a bowl fired to cone 10. I glazed the interior with a cone 6 clear and then cone 10 jeff's red. The outside was glazed in a cone 10 black. My idea was to cause some movement of the jeff's red glaze. My instructor thinks that some black was "pulled" off the rim and that's what caused the blue color. I'm going to do some more experimenting and see what happens.

First post, kitchen update

The new year still finds us working on the remodel of our kitchen after a slab leak was detected during the week of our wedding. Here is a picture of the progress so far. This week we built shelving for the new pantry, added a couple of lights, and the cabinet hardware. So far we have been pleased with all our choices.